This document explains how to configure a single menu item for use on a Customer Order Kiosk.
You must have an operator account with permission to edit the server configuration and modify menu items.
All settings editing is performed via the iPad App.
Configuring the Menu Item
This guide assumes that you are already familiar with configuring a menu item for regular use. In order to configure a menu item for customer ordering, the following steps must be taken.
- In the PadPOS iPad App, log in to your server and select “Edit Settings” from the top-right action menu.
- Switch to the “Menu” settings panel.
- Create the menu item and fill in the regular settings (or, edit an existing item on your menu.)
- Ensure that the item has a numeric “Menu Number” configured. This is used by the customer to initially select the item.
- Use the “Edit Images” button to define one image which will be displayed to the user when they select this item. (See the “How to upload Images” guide if you need help with uploading images.)
- Enter a “Description” which will be displayed to the user when they select this item. This should be a reasonably short textual description of the item which helps explain what the user is ordering. If your site supports additional languages, also enter the “Alternate Language Description.”
- Use “Edit Modifiers” if you wish to provide selectable items for the order. Do not use “Edit Options” – this is currently unsupported for Customer Order mode.
- “Automatic Submit” is always active in Customer Order mode, and this setting is ignored.
- “Show Custom Order Screen”, “Close options page after selection”, “Order Card”, “Hidden Item”, “Request Seating Position”, and “Change Order status” are not used with Customer Order mode.
Customer Self-Order Flow
While a customer is using a Self-Order Terminal, the ordering process is substantially different from regular ordering. The following is a brief overview of how this flow is controlled by the menu item(s).
- The customer taps to activate the Self-Order Terminal screen. The device automatically logs in to the appropriate Operator and Table.
- If your site supports multiple languages, the customer may swap languages as required.
- The customer consults the physical menu, and finds an item to order.
- The customer keys the number of the item into the Self-Order Terminal.
- The Self-Order Terminal displays a preview of the selected item, which includes the following:
- The item name.
- The item description.
- The item image.
- An order quantity control.
- Cancel/Proceed style buttons.
- The user confirms that the item matches their expectations, and presses the proceed button.
- If the item has modifiers, the display is replaced with a scrollable list of modifiers, each displayed as an image. The user must select exactly one modifier, then press the proceed button. If the selected modifier offers additional modifiers, this step is repeated.
- A final screen is displayed confirming the overall order, including pricing.
- The user confirms the order. The order screen is dismissed and the order is submitted to the kitchen or other appropriate workstation.
If the user opts to cancel at any point in this process, the in-progress edit is removed from their order and not submitted to any workstation.