This page explains how to customise the Screen Saver images. The Screen Saver is displayed on all local terminals while the terminal is logged out. Tapping on the screen while the Screen Saver is active will present the operator with the Login Screen (or, if automatic login is enabled, will log in immediately.)
The Screen Saver is not displayed on clients configured to connect via the Cloud; it is expected that you will exit the PadPOS app on these clients after each use.
The PadPOS software automatically disables screen sleep on iPad devices while it is active, to ensure that the device responds immediately when the screen is tapped. Windows devices should similarly be configured to remain in an active state during business hours.
Selecting an appropriate Image
Screen Saver images should be appropriate for full-screen usage. An iPad retina display is 2048 x 1536 pixels. Many Windows displays are around 1300 x 1000 pixels. If the provided image size is too low for its intended usage, the result may be pixelated, jagged, or blurred. If the provided image size is unnecessarily high, performance when displaying the image may suffer. If the aspect ratio (width vs height) of the image is substantially incorrect, unpleasant edge cropping or stretching may be visible.
Screen Saver images should be selected to ensure that the appearance of all areas of the screen change throughout the cycle. If a watermark or logo are present, it is strongly recommended that these are moved with each subsequent image, or are omitted from some images, to ensure that all areas of the image vary in colour. This helps prevent screen burn-in, improving the visual quality and effective lifetime of your display. This applies to all devices, including iPads and Windows devices.
If it is a site requirement that a single image or a constant logo placement be used, the screensaver images should be manually adjusted on a weekly basis to avoid screen burn-in.
Configuring the Screen Saver
This technique requires that you have an iPad with the PadPOS client software installed, correctly configured to connect to your PadPOS server. You must have an operator account with permission to edit the server configuration.
- Log in to your server with an appropriate operator account.
- Switch to the “Edit Settings” screen.
- Select “Configuration” from the settings list on the left.
- Scroll down to the “Edit ScreenSaver” button on the right and tap it. This will display a list of images currently selected for the item in question.
- To add new images to the Screen Saver, scroll to the bottom of the image list, and tap the “Add new option” text. This will display a list of all images currently available for selection.
- If you wish to upload new images, please review the separate steps for uploading images.
- Select the images that you wish to add to the Screen Saver.
- Use the “<” Backward Navigation option at the top left of the image list to return to the Screen Saver image list and add the selected images.
- To re-order or remove images from the Screen Saver, tap the “Edit” button at the top right of the screen. This will activate (-) “delete” buttons to the left of each image in the list, and “move” anchors to the right of each image in the list.
- Drag any image using the drag anchor and drop it into the desired order in the list.
- Tap on the (-) “delete” button and then tap the exposed “Delete” confirmation prompt to remove an image from the list. This does not remove the image from the server, and it can be re-inserted later as per step #5.
- Tap the “Done” button at the top right of the screen to exit edit mode.
- Repeat steps #5 and #6 as desired.
- Press the “Save Edits” button at the top left of the screen.
- Changes are saved to the server immediately, and will become active on clients when they are next logged in.