This page explains how to upload images to your PadPOS server. Once uploaded, images can be utilised in a variety of areas such as for menu item previews, for the customer display background, or for the screen saver.
Selecting an appropriate Image
The quality of your images can make a substantial difference to the professionalism of your customer displays. It is recommended that you take care in ensuring that all images are appropriate for their use in the software and are of high visual quality. For images which are to be used as backgrounds, care should be taken that the image does not interfere with the readability of the foreground content.
Images should be sized appropriately for their usage within the software. An iPad retina display is 2048 x 1536 pixels. Many Windows displays are around 1300 x 1000 pixels. Images which are displayed in only a small part of the screen can be sized smaller to a corresponding degree. If the provided image size is too low for its intended usage, the result may be pixelated, jagged, or blurred. If the provided image size is unnecessarily high, performance when displaying the image may suffer. If the aspect ratio (width vs height) of the image is substantially incorrect, unpleasant edge cropping or stretching may be visible.
Uploading from your iPad
This technique requires that you have an iPad with the PadPOS client software installed, correctly configured to connect to your PadPOS server. A local network connection to your server is recommended; uploading via a Cloud connection is permitted but upload times may be substantially longer than when using the local network, and your iPad may incur data charges from your mobile data provider.
In order to upload images, you must have an operator account with permission to edit the server configuration.
- Log in to your server with an appropriate operator account.
- Switch to the “Edit Settings” screen.
- Navigate to the image that you wish to edit. For example, select “Configuration” from the settings list on the left, then scroll down to the “Edit ScreenSaver” button on the right and tap it. This will display a list of images currently selected for the item in question.
- Scroll to the bottom of the image list, and tap the “Add new option” text. This will display a list of all images currently available for selection.
- Tap the action button at the top right of the screen. In the action popover that appears, select “Import From Photos” or “Import From Camera” as appropriate.
- If your iPad prompts for permission to access your photos/camera, you will need to grant permission in order to continue. If you have previously denied permission, you may need to manually grant permission via the PadPOS App Settings.
- Take a photo using your camera, or select an existing photo from your library.
- If prompted, drag and pinch to “Move and Scale” your image to crop out any undesired border area. Tap the “Use” button in the top right of the popover to confirm the edits.
- Repeat as desired to upload multiple images.
- By default, all newly uploaded images are selected for addition to the image source which you are editing. You may deselect these images, or select other images as desired.
- Use the “<” Backward Navigation option at the top left of the image list to return to the image source which you are editing and add the selected images.
- Press the “Save Edits” button at the top left of the screen.
Uploading via a Shared Folder
This technique requires that a shared folder has been created on the server at the correct location for incoming images.
You must have an appropriate personal computer configured appropriately so that it can connect to the shared folder.
- Ensure that the images on your computer are of an appropriate size and are saved in PNG format.
- Connect to the shared folder.
- Copy the image files from your computer into the shared folder. You may upload entire folders of images, however zip files cannot be used.
- Restart the PadPOS Server.